6/5/10

Gambucci's Measure-less Salad

I still remember when my aunt first introduced us to this recipe. I was somewhere on my high school journey and I was in the mode of cooking where everything needed a recipe with step-by-step instructions. Therefore, you can only imagine my perplexity when she told me that for dinner we were going to make the following:

Gambucci's Salad

Iceberg & Romaine - chopped
Tomatoes - chopped
Red Onion - chopped
Cooked, sliced chicken - chopped
Bacon Bits
Gorgonzola & Parmesan (I used Romano...any sharp cheese works)

The dressing is what truly makes the salad.
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/6 cup vinegar (any type...red wine, white, apple cider...I've used them all at one point or another)
1/4t salt
1/8t pepper
1/4t celery salt
1/4t onion salt or powder
1/4t dry mustard
BLEND for 5 minutes (or mix with a fork because by the time you start whipping up the dressing there will undoubtedly be a few impatient people in the kitchen to talk to.)




There are a few contingencies that come with preparing this salad.
DO:
...finely chop everything. The red onions should be ultra thin, the chicken should be chopped very fine and the lettuce should be chopped into fine shreds.
...use both romaine and iceberg. The only time I pick up lonely little iceberg is when I've got this salad on the mind!
...make the dressing as stated above. The dressing is what makes this salad, so buy the extra spices that you don't have. You will use them again. Trust me.
...Let me know if you make it! It is named after a salad from a restaurant that I have never been to. Although, I don't feel a need to go there when I have this masterpiece at my fingertips! :)
...NOT measure anything, but the dressing. But use alot of the good stuff because you will wish you had made more, no matter what. ;)
...Feel free to double the dressing recipe if you go over-the-top with the salad fixins, but I have never had to cross that bridge. You certainly don't want to over-dress the salad!


I had a whole host of pictures on my phone from each step
(since my camera was going awall!),
but they got lost in cyberspace when I tried to email them to myself. :(
In other news, I made an impulse buy (props to the people who set up the floorplan for the CVS that I frequent) and picked up some Pretzel M&M's the other day. I was pleasantly surprised! The characteristic candy coated shell encloses a litle pretzel nugget and milky, smooth chocolate that combine for a sweet and salty, smooth and crunchy little treat. They are also lower in fat than the average M&M and are the perfect treat! My mom thought of malted milk balls after popping one into her mouth and I can definitely see where she is coming from.
No...these, pictures are not from my new camera. These are truly my last pics from the days before Sony Jr's Big Brother. It's Saturday...enjoy it!

13 comments:

  1. for some reason I just love the way you describe those pretzel m%ms. When are you gonna start writing for a gourmet mag?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were giving out m&m's today at the food pantry but I did not see these! they sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god, i have searching for those m& - i was scared when i read that they were coming out when i was abroad they'd be gone before I got back! the search continues...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg those m& m's look soooo fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh snap, i want that salad!!! and those m&ms! are those new? why have i not seen them before? have i been over in europe for too long? probs. miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen pretzel m&ms before.. I'll have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this what Gambucci's called "Chopped Salad"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you freaking kidding me???? Gambucci's Chicken Chopped Salad was my favorite and I've been looking everywhere for a dressing like it!!!! I hope this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Saljay:

    Here you go:

    "We loved Gambucci's. The owners of Tippins/Gambucci's own The Sun Set Grill at 144th and Metcalf. They have the very same Chopped Salad with the same delishious dressing"

    From the Catering Menu:

    Chopped Sunset Salad
    Chopped garden greens with red onions, prosciutto ham, gorgonzola cheese,
    seasoned Roma tomatoes, and marinated chicken. Served with our Sunset Vinaigrette.
    Garnished with shredded parmesan cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking everywhere for the recipe for Gambucci's chopped salad. Now I have to make it and go to Sun Set Grill!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just ate the salad at Sunset Grill and asked what kind of vinegar they used. She said its White Balsamic. We just made it and it tasted just like theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On that salad dressing recipe. I know for a fact, the vinegar is white balsalmic. I still miss Gambuccis!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the pleasure of having this salad at Gambucci's and at the Sunset Grill! I found your post several years ago and I make it as often as I can. It was requested by family for Christmas Eve this year.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your "foodie" mind today?