1/28/10

Snow Day Reviews

Lend an ear and let me tell you just a smidgen about my morning.
3:00 am-
I got up to what sounded like my coffee maker malfunctioning and turning on (The Best Part of Wakin’ Up, right? By the way…WHY IN THE WORLD are they trying to find a new jingle?). Anyways, turns out, my coffee maker is just fine (whew!) and the sound was that of rain pelting up against my windows. Awesome.

6:30- I get up to the same sound, but this time I flip on Mr. Coffee to duel it out with the noisy rain.

9:20- I leave for class. Torrential rain doesn’t even begin to describe it. However, it was Calculus class and she told us specifically to GET there, no matter what. I walked outside, opened my umbrella and immediately, the 30mph winds inverted my cute plaid pink shelter and almost knocked the thing right out of my hands. Awesome. I looked around and saw a trend…RUN like you are on fire…through puddles up to your shins and wind blowing you almost off of your feet. Thankfully, the building I needed to get to was right across the way from my dorm. Then again, I still showed up looking as though I had just jumped into the deep end of a swimming pool and couldn’t get out. Anyways, some cute kid sat next to me in math (that has nothing to do with anything...). After class, I walked out with one of my friends and…IT WAS SNOWING. Terenchal snow. No sign of rain anywhere. The deep end swimming pool that I had jumped into earlier had turned to slush and I looked like a walking snowball.

Then my Elementary Analysis Lab and Food Micro Lab were cancelled; which has given me the time to do all of the food reviews that I have been neglecting (against my own free will) because school has taken over my life. There are ALOT of reviews ahead. Don’t get overwhelmed. Just read about the ones that catch your eye. Or read some today and some tomorrow. I probably won’t be able to post again for a couple of days…just pace yourself! lol ;)


I received this product at no cost to me. The opinions expressed are my own.
The nutrition facts are fairly impressive. These babies are PACKED with creamy, creamy, creamy cheese...hence the high sat. fat. Actually, if I was required to do a nutrition test on a product for one of my food science classes, this would be the one. It looks almost too good to be true.
Upon ripping off the plastic covering, the dish looks like a mound of masa with a chincy amount of roasted red pepper sauce. I wanted more sauce.
The filling was phenomenal. You could see every component of the dish from the cilantro, to the veggies, to the CREAMY cheese. Lovely filling.
The ratio of masa to filling was just a tad bit off, with a little too much masa taking center stage. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the first tamale and the well developed flavor that it brought to the table. However, these babies are so substantial and filling that by the time I started to dig into the second tamale, my stomach was turning. The overall mushy, doughy, creamy texture was getting to me and I couldn't finish the second tamale. I would suggest that Cedarlane ditch the second tamale and replace it with an equally flavorful side dish!
Photo Credit
These babies were awesome. NO weird taste of any shape or form. Just airy, crunchy goodness. They reminded me of the cereal, Puffins. LOVE THEM! Very cinnamon-y. The description "Almond Filled" is pushing it because 3/4 of them are not filled at all and the ones that are "filled" contain an ultra thin layer of said fillling.
Kay's Naturals Honey, Almond Filled Cookie Bites
Photo Credit

These were not bad, but I liked the Cinnamon ones MUCH better. The honey flavor was just a bit off, in my opinion.
Where's that almond filling they speak of?

Airy with a delightfully substantial crunch! :D

18 Rabbits Cheeky Cherry Chocolate Bar
I got these bars from Katie and did a review of the Haute Diggity Date (green wrapper) here. The red one was just as delicious, with sweet cherries and chocolate chunks mixed within the signiature granola base. Most def. recommended!

I won these FitDeck Pilates cards from Erica and they are a really neat idea. Great little gift addition for someone because they have so many different venues available. I am enjoying learning new pilates moves!
I received this product at no cost to me. The opinions expressed are my own.
I had no clue what to expect, so I consulted the box. Zesty tomato sauce, loads of veggies, feta cheese and a creamy white sauce nestled within thick slices of eggplant?! Yum!
Once again, the nutrition profile is low cal and high in all natural goodness, protein and fiber!
This dish looked pretty darn appetizing for what I was expecting from a frozen meal.
The ingredient list is straight up and with milk as the second component, you can bet that the overall feel of this dish will be creaminess. :D
The "Veggie Ground Round" tasted exactly like ground turkey. I actually had to consult the ingredient list to solidify that is was indeed, not turkey. The layer of soft, creamy feta cheese was very thick. Almost too thick, but I still enjoyed it. Overall, it tasted like a cross between a chili, a lasagna and sauteed veggies within a creamy tomato sauce. I would buy this again!
I received this product at no cost to me. The opinions expressed are my own.
Photo Credit

Here is what I pulled out of the sunburst wrapper. Half of the tortilla had broken off at some point between the factory and my freezer. However, there was just enough tortilla to completely enclose the filling, so it actually turned out quite nice because I didn't get any tough spots that generally ensue from the overlapped tortilla.
Plus, it popped open a little and made for a great foodie-licious photo op!
The tortilla was soft and just perfect. However, the filling tasted a bit too mushy for my liking. I was expecting fluffy eggs with veggies mixed throughout and got a mushy cheesy egg mixture ...with veggies mixed throughout.
Upon closer examination, I noticed that the third ingredient is POTATOES. No wonder why the filling resembles mashed potatoes, in a way. I suggest that you go a different route for breakfast and let Cedarlane take care of your lunch.


Off I go! Come back tomorrow if you didn't catch all of the important review action going on up there! Does anybody have other thoughts about any of these products? All taste buds are welcome to speak! ;)

*

I just went downstairs to get some soup from the dining hall. They didn't have any. Is that a joke? Maybe Leslie can hook me up, with the Progresso giveaway that she has going on?! :D


19 comments:

  1. I have not tried any of those prods - but the eggplant moussaka looks nomm-y!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your description of this morning's weather? spot on.

    send some of dem cinnamon thingamabobbers over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews. I think the eggplant dish looks realy good and I wish i could get one here. Drive safe in the nasty weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cedarlane burritos. I've been disappointed with how they fall apart, but not disappointed to stop buying them b/c they are so tasty and filling. Guess it doesn't matter how they look as long as they're good!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm jealous of your snow days AND your eats

    ReplyDelete
  6. can I please just vent about the weather for a second?! it is so dang cold and the snow is REDIC! okay. rant over.

    your food makes me hungry and I just finished a monster lunch. Curse you!! te he he, just kidding - love ya muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a lucky girl fro getting those cedarlane products- i love their dishes! they are always so good, never tried a burrito thougH?

    xoxo
    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walking to class in the rain is the WORST, isn't it?! No wait, walking in to class in the rain when it's windy is the worst!! Sorry you had to do both :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great product reviews!
    The cedarline products look the best!
    Those Kays filled with almond butter sound genious, too bad they didn't have more ab in them or I bet they would be rockin!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor you :( I can't believe your prof still had class. At least your others were canceled!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww I'm sorry about the weather!! That stinks...
    And you're right, why ARE they trying to find a new jingle??
    Fitdeck sounds really interesting. That's such a cool concept!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really really want to try those kay's naturals products and 18 rabbits too, they look/sound really good! sorry the weather is heinous, hope it clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your weather is now in New England so I feel your pain. I LOVE Cedarlane Products. The burritos are personal favorites of my two girls.

    Stay dry :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE kays products and thos ecookie bites are the shizzzz I have a whole case of them to get through (SCORE!)

    ahh iremember walking to class in the rain or SNOW (upstate NY, we had a lot of that!) umbrellas are crucial!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. a) I. LOVE. Cedar Lane.

    b) I WISH I could say I love Kay's but tragically I am yet to be able to delight in their protein packed joy.

    c) Just a heads up - terenchal is spelled torrential ;) No biggs

    ReplyDelete
  16. always love your reviews! i am not sure how i feel about frozen eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow you have been busy doing reviews! Fun!! I have never even tried any of those products before!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, sounds like a crazy day! Great product reviews! I'm so hungry now! The Cedarlane eggplant meal looks like theri old eggplant parm. I think they've re-done some of their products. I LOVE Cedarlane!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. those cinnamon almond bites look so good! where do you buy kay's? i've never seen it in stores.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your "foodie" mind today?